what a weekend!
- 8:30 help with commencement preparations (time for another graduation ALREADY?!)
- 10:00 E and i leave for Little Rock (two words: PAPER SALE! $1 per pound/paper!!!)
- 1:00 Jennie (yay!), E and i get in line after a thorough examination of the paper, plates/napkins (i couldn’t have shopped without sweet Jennie’s help–E was quite the fuss-budget with no nap!!)
- 1:10 spend a whopping $22.67 (!!!) on a HAUL of cute, cute, cute paper, cards/envelopes, plates/napkins
- 1:30 go to sam’s for the “cheap” gas (pathetic that cheap gas=$3.55/gal) and search for an at&t store to buy a car charger…really need my cell phone for the rest of the day and battery is very d-e-a-d.
- 2:15 finally get to rachel & harry’s and see my beautiful 3 1/2 week old niece, AnnMarie
- 2:45 spontaneous photo shoot of the cousins! PERFECT to frame for Mother’s Day gift for Mom the next day! (well, after cropping out the horrendous, blaring yellow date.) :)
i can’t believe how beautiful and precious AnnMarie is–it even looks like she’s smiling here! E is being awfully greedy with the stuffed animals. :)
AnnMarie was getting really bored with the photo shoot & Elisabeth’s kisses. :)
by far, my favourite out of the 15 photos we snapped. AnnMarie was actually crying, but it looks like she is laughing with her cousin here! :) i love it. i love THEM. together.
- 4:00 arrive at sarah’s apartment
- 5:00 FINALLY leave LR after loading poor Quigley, Sarah’s dog, into the very back-end of my van (not to mention all of sarah’s belongings for her ten ONE night visit to arkadelphia)
- 6:00 drop off sarah at mom & dad’s and head home. once again, FINALLY.
- 7:15 start to try to get E to sleep (after a day of no naps–well, hardly–you would think it would be a breeze, right?!)
- 9:00 WRONG. E finally goes to sleep. oh.my.WORD. nightmare city.
- 10:00 collapse. :)
- 6:30 or 7:00 wake up to sweet doug’s mother’s day gifts AND anniversary presents (yes, they were on the same day!) my favourite part? Elisabeth bringing me “her” card. :)
- 9:00 getting ready…doug for WORK (BAH!!) :( and me & E for church.
- 10:00 work/church
- 11:30 leave with mom, dad, sarah, E, once again the quigster in the back…for another little rock trip.
- 12:30 meet rachel, harry and annmarie at mimi’s cafe–LOVED IT! (wait was 2 hours, though. we only had to wait 1 hour b/c we were driving for part of that time, but WOW.)
- 4:00ish after dropping off sarah and the pooch, leave for arkadelphia
- 5:00 get home
- 5:45 doug and i leave for little rock (NO, I AM NOT KIDDING) to go on an anniversary date. :) felt terrible for “dumping” E on my mom/dad (it was still mother’s day, after all!)…but they sweetly insisted. i’m glad. 6 years, after all, is a big deal! :) 6 is my fav. number, so i’m guessing that means this year will be AMAZING. :) although, technically, we’re now on our 7th year. which is just as nice, i suppose. :)
- 7:00 see made of honor. loved it. really, really, really cute. :)
- 9:30 we’re old geezers and too tired to do anything else. GO HOME. :)
did anyone make it through this entire (mostly boring?!) play-by-play of my weekend? my goodness.
so today i decided to drive-through arby’s to get lunch for me & my parents. my hopes were not high as far as time goes because 1) there is always a long line and 2) they are extremely slow.
what a nice surprise, then, when i pulled right up to the speaker–only one car ahead of me (already at the window)! as usual, i had a hard time communicating with the person on the other end of the speaker. (does anyone else have this consistent problem? maybe this is due to how softly i usually speak, but i swear sometimes i have to give my order about three or four times.) whatever. after that torturous few minutes, i pulled forward to the window…
and came face to face with the sweetest-faced girl whose eyes were so bright and shiny. we literally couldn’t stop smiling at each other and looking deeply into one another’s eyes. i loved her instantly, you know?
and isn’t that amazing how that happens sometimes? it’s so rare, but when it does…it’s magical. and other-worldly, almost. and i’m left in awe of a God Who created us to be such emotional and complex beings who are able to connect on inexplicably deep levels with simply one look. (no, i’m not female seeking female now. i just re-read the last few sentences or so, and i guess it sounds like i was waxing of a “love at first sight” experience.)
i haven’t been able to get this encounter out of my head. i don’t WANT to.
when she came back to the window to hand me my food, i (HAD to say something and) said, “you are so sweet.” (how cheesy, but what else could i say? certainly not everything else i’ve already written here.) she replied, “you are so sweet, too! you are the sweetest person who has driven through here all day since i got to work this morning.” without thinking, i said, “well, you are an angel.” (WHAT?! do i normally call people–other than my husband or daughter–an ANGEL?) and she just looked at me and said so genuinely, “come back and see me some time. my name is roxeen.” (sp? her nametag was unfortunately covered. i would’ve asked about the spelling, but there was someone behind me.) so i stuck out my hand for a shake and told her my name, too.
and then drove away.
from roxeen, the angel.
i kind of want to see her again, but selfishly i kind of don’t want to, too. unless i happen to go to arby’s again, and she happens to be working the window at that same moment, i think i will just keep this encounter locked up inside in a little memory package that i can occassionally open and re-wrap.
p.s. guess what? i have no IDEA how long it took for my food. it didn’t matter today.
…who would enter this world
and change lives forever,
enriching mine (beyond description).
And then there were two
whose presence sparkles light
into every space they touch,
whose breath breathes joy
onto every ear that hears-such
that being near them, the heart
might almost pop
from sheer delight
from bursting goodness
from whole love.
happy birthday, dear Julie Anna and Jennie E.
you are eternally loved.
i decided the best way to tell you about everything would be to just share some photos…
our friend, sara, graciously offered to make Elisabeth’s birthday cake. we had no idea it would be so beautiful–or delicious!
can you get over the precious cupcakes??
she even made E a special separate cake:
Elisabeth, of course, LOVED it!!
she really enjoyed opening all her wonderful gifts–i seriously couldn’t believe her reactions and expressions!
she loved helping unwrap…
interested already in dishes, shoes, hats and cards…what a little woman she is!
this one’s priceless!
the eubanks family graciously allowed us to use their private lake and pavillion; it was the perfect setting for the party! sadly, i didn’t get any photos of everyone swimming, but i know some of you would like to see the birthday girl in her bathing suit!!…so here’s some photos of E modeling her itsby bitsy teeny weeny flower polka-dot bikini back in may:
as you can see, she’s not nearly as happy in her other bather (later in the summer):
okay, back to the party!
doug, always young at heart, having fun with bubbles!
we were overwhelmed by all the friends and family who came to celebrate E and her first full year of life. the sproles, jennie, and the clevelands all came from little rock. several friends, young and old, came from our local church:
i guess you could even say that my nephew, E’s cousin, came all the way from australia for the event! (it doesn’t look like he had much fun…although, i’m not sure any 18 year old would have very much fun at a 1 year old’s party!)
my favourite photo of all–the entire family, both sides.
1 daddy + 1 mommy + 4 grandparents + 4 aunts + 1 uncle + 1 cousin = ONE HAPPY ONE YEAR OLD BABY GIRL AT HER FIRST BIRTHDAY PARTY!!!
Rachel & Harry’s wedding weekend was so jam-packed with events; if I am ever going to post about them, I need to write in little installments. Otherwise, I feel way too overwhelmed to even beGIN to tackle everything. :)
We couldn’t have a bachelorette party for Rachel without first sending invitations!
With her input, I chose these:
Because I had to communicate so much extra information, I made an additional card to go with the lovely invitation. I guess I committed a crime by copying the picture, but I wanted my card to match!!…
Yes, I made up the cheesy poem at the bottom…but Rachel loved it! :) So girly and fun. Also, did you catch the r.s.v.p. email address? Uh huh, I really did create an email address SOLELY for her party. So much fun!! :) I absolutely LOVE to design/print any type of invitation or stationery…too bad I didn’t major in graphic design!! (I never know what I’m doing–I consider it “playing around.”)
Along those lines, I really didn’t know WHAT to do for favors…and since I wanted us hostesses to be able to give something unique and special –say, in lieu of the traditional doodle* gift? :) –I decided to make stationery for all the girls. We had to be semi-strict on the r.s.v.p.’s since we were working with a fancy-schmancy restaurant and staying in a suite at The Peabody (didn’t want someone to end up without a BED to sleep on, for example!), so I knew the names of all the girls who were coming. Here’s a photo of the party favors, lined up on a table in the hotel suite:
The o-c in me almost made a set for myself–I hated there weren’t an even 20!! :)
[*this is the term I learned in Australia for a certain male part…ah hem…]
The reality of my baby sister getting married REALLY set in when I was making her set…I couldn’t put Rachel SPENCER on her cards; she wouldn’t be able to use them anymore!
As stated above in the catchy poem, :) we all met first at the restaurant. This would be the time and the location that ALL FIVE SISTERS would be together for the first time in over twenty years…I was so excited for that (in addition to being excited for Rachel’s party) & a little nervous, too! Sadly, we didn’t even get a photo of us five together that night…I think we were all just so focused on Rachel and the huge event that was about to happen in her life! :)
so,…SO (I’m sure all you Little Rock persons know this, but that is the name of the restaurant) was REALLY wonderful. I had a good feeling going into it, because my contact guy had been so great with all the planning. I got to/had to (once again, with the Princess Bride’s input!) :) choose a “set menu,” and there were some delicious choices!!
Let me know if you can’t read the menu & want to know details!! :) I had the chicken pasta…oh.my.goodness.
INSERT: oops…I just realized ALL FIVE photos I’ve posted so far are nothing but stationery…BOH-RING!! Lemme change that for ya! :)
Rachel had such an interesting mix of close friends at her party–they literally came from all over the country! (And, including Kellie, all over the WORLD!!) :)
Here’s Sarah, enjoying her “chocolate sack” that she so graciously shared with all of us:
I’m not sure, but that arm in the bottom left might be going in for the kill!! I wish I had a picture of the dessert before Sarah dug in–it seriously was amazing. Literally an edible chocolate “sack,” filled with all things delicious. yum yum.
I absolutely love this photo of Rachel; I think it captures how genuinely happy she was:
She was such a little cutie in her tiara and “bride” t-shirt. :)
After we rooollled out of there, we were off…to The Peabody! I had never been there before–it’s stunningly gorgeous!
The two-story suite was amazing. It really looked like something straight out of a movie or something. Sarah & some of the other girls had gone earlier and decorated the room a little….
Ha ha…too cute. Things started getting a LITTLE crazy when Rachel started trying on all her gifts–over her clothes, of course. :) One of the girls had even given a gift for Harry–a pair of black mesh (see-through?!?!) undies…yep, Rachie put those on, too. :)
After things died down a bit following the “Name Your Lingerie” game (hi-lar-i-ous…can’t go into the details here on that one), we had cake. As you might remember, I was kind of up a creek with the cake responsibility. I thought Sarah had taken care of it, but the DAY BEFORE the party–when talking with her about everything–she said she didn’t care about a cake. I said, Sarah, it’s a SHOWER as well as a party…we’ve got to have SOMEthing!! And she said (in a very stressed-out state), “Fine! Then go make some cookie bars or something. If you don’t then fine, we won’t have anything!” It kind of reminded me of the Grandma in Napoleon Dynamite saying, “Go make yourself some dang quesa-dill-ahs.” Too funny. (But not at the time–I got pretty stressed pretty quickly trying to think up a shower dessert/cake for 20 people less than 24 hours before I needed it.) Once again, ubercheesy, but I went with a “photo cake.” The local grocer’s bakery saved the day!! Although I think the roses were a bit much, I was really happy with the way it turned out–and Rachel liked it, which is all that mattered, really!
I think she had a wonderful time and felt very honored and special–rightfully so!
Spa Day/Rehearsal & Dinner/Wedding Day to come!! :)
- one month from today, my youngest sister will be getting married. WHAT?!
- Julie, you will already be married!!
- did you hear last week about the boy with the spiders in his ears? i’ve thought of this EVERY night before going to sleep since then…earplugs, anyone?
- for girls only: commando. do you ever go? i had to yesterday due to the MOUNDS of dirty clothes yet to be washed–and it wasn’t as bad as i thought. no, it wasn’t my first time, but it had just been a long time. (unlike one unnamed sister, whom i think does this pretty regularly?? can’t imagine.)
- i wish i could hire some “helpers” for my parents. because their days are filled with everything Elisabeth, they simply do not have the time to clean their home and unpack boxes that are yes, still sitting untouched. the space they’re in is SO much smaller than their previous home, and so there’s literally not room for everything. this is such a burden for them–especially my Mom–and so it’s a burden for me, too. if i had vacation time, i would be there in a flash. could i please, like Evie, just stop time for a while?
- Elisabeth is ten months old today. how is THAT possible? :)
- a year ago, i was enjoying a night’s layover in London on my way to Finland. (again, how is that possible? that it’s been a YEAR?)
- i had my first official Mother’s Day on Sunday. so surreal. and precious and wonderful.
- doug finished SO WELL this semester!!! i could not be any more proud of him! after his trip to India this summer (mission trip, simultaneously earning 6 credit hours), he’ll only have ONE–count ’em, ONE!!!–more semester to go. -big sigh-
- i’m in the process of planning his huge graduation present we’ve been dreaming of for years…A TRIP TO EUROPE!! (just London, we think. and maybe a chunnel visit to PARIS!!) :)
So I haven’t written in…almost a month?! Oops.
This is kind of a crapster post after all that time, but I’ve got a few drafts brewing.
For the time being, if you are a netflixer, I want to be “friends” with you.
All you have to do is click here. :)