weird things that make me smile:
· going into “my” stall at work & finding that no one has used it yet (lid still up/cleaning bubbles evident in bowl)
· crunching acorns while walking
· seeing something in E’s potty (she started a month ago..she’s not quite 15 months old & still isn’t walking. and yes, i AM a bragging mommy) :)
· smooshing warmed tar on the road with my shoes–and even bare feet. love it.
· i love it when rain droplets (on a window, say) come together to form a bigger rain droplet. same principle applies in the bath tub with bubbles.
· putting my fingers over the finger place on a water fountain (you know, where there’s a picture of fingers). thanks, SJ. :)
Hi, my name is: Rebekah
but you can call me: Rebeekah J
Never in my life have I: dyed my hair
The one person who can drive me nuts is: only one?! J
My high school is: kingwood high school
When I’m nervous: it looks like my nails/cuticles got caught in a garbage disposal
The last song I listened to was: wow, i actually do not know. i think it was on the radio yesterday…something by led zeppelin
If I were to get married right now it would be to: irrelevant
My hair is: ridiculous
When I was 4: i have no memories from early childhood, but i was living in western australia—i.e. heaven on earth
Last Christmas: was Elisabeth’s first
I should be: more self-controlled with my spending
When I look down I see: my blue shirt
The happiest recent event was: E using her potty (#2) last night
If I were a character on ‘Friends’ : i would be monica, surely.
By this time next year: i hope i’m a stay-at-home mom and/or enjoying a fun job. that would be AWESOME.
My current gripe is: i can’t wait to stop working. and also, “that will ruin my points!” (weight watchers)
I have a hard time understanding: how to juggle working with cleaning, mothering, wifeing, and cooking.
There are these girls: that i’m going to play bunco with tomorrow night, and i can’t wait. watch out, here comes Rebunco!
If I won an award, the first person I would tell would be: Doug
I want to buy: everything i see?? seriously, almost every craft item, an ipod, a CAR and HOME…(those would be the biggest)
Where do you plan to visit: um, London, anyone??? THREE MONTHS AND TWO DAYS FROM TODAY.
If you spent the night at my house: you would be very cramped. we don’t have a guest room…but i would still set out your towels and a mint on your pillow! (wherever you might be sleeping!)
The world could do without: violence.
Most recent thing I’ve bought myself: a new pair of walking shoes
Most recent thing someone else bought me: my Mom brought me some cute souvenirs from Branson J
My middle name is: Grace, and middle names are VERY important to me. WHAT’S YOURS?? J
In the morning I: hurry
Last night I was: watching the fantastic four sequel with Doug
There’s this guy I know who: is traveling the world right now. can we say JEALOUS, aaron??
If I was an animal I’d be a: giraffe
A better name for me would be: worry wart
Tomorrow I am: working and then going to be Rebunco in Little Rock
Tonight I am: cleaning my house. seriously. i can do this.
My birthday is: 9 august 1977
Thanks for the fun idea, Jennie! :)
1. Who is your man? Doug (also dislike “man”)
2. How long have you been together? Married 5 years 4 months
3. How long dated? 3 years 7 months.
4. How old is your man? 28
5. Who eats more? We both love to eat!!
6. Who said “I love you” first? Definitely him.
7. Who is taller? He’s 5′10″ – I’m 5′4 3/4″. (hey–i’m proud of that 3/4″!)
8. Who sings better? He would say me, but I love his voice when he’s not bein silly. :)
9. Who is smarter? I would have to put away my pride and say him in most areas.
10. Whose temper is worse? We both have fiery tempers. Yuck.
11. Who does the laundry? We both do.
12. Who takes out the garbage? He usually does, and I am very grateful!
13. Who sleeps on the right side of the bed? He does, but he’d tell you he doesn’t get the entire half. (sorry–had to steal that one from you, Jennie!) :)
14. Who pays the bills? I do.
15. Who is better with the computer? Definitely me.
16. Who mows the lawn? We share.
17. Who cooks dinner? Cook? What’s that? :( Seriously, though, I love to cook–if only I had more time. And he is an AMAZING little chef–he creates recipes, and they’re amazing! If only I could send you a bite of his french toast through cyberspace…mmm…
18. Who drives when you are together? He does.
19. Who pays when you go out? He always does, but it doesn’t really matter b/c we share an account.
20. Who is most stubborn? We are really both a couple of old donkeys, to be honest. Hee haw!
21. Who is the first to admit when they are wrong? Ooo…ouch. Depends?
22. Whose parents do you see the most? Mine since they live a few blocks away and keep Elisabeth every day! We probably see his every other month or so, though.
23. Who kissed who first? Definitely him. After trying to resist his bold advances for a while, I finally caved in.
24. Who asked who out? We didn’t really have any formal dates–we just hung out and talked forever. BUT–he was the one calling! :)
25. Who proposed? He did. On a rooftop at night. The sky was crazy and beautiful. Wind blew. Clock tower rang as soon as we finished a prayer. It was magical.
26. Who is more sensitive? Definitely me.
27. Who has more friends? He does.
28. Who has more siblings? I have four and he has one.
29. Who wears the pants in the family? Weird question.
30. Does anyone else hate the fact that there only 29 questions?? I had to say it.
well, i’ve been quite a little blogging hermit lately, haven’t i? other than work, what have i been doing for the last two months instead of blogging?
- Celebrating the first birthday of Elisabeth Grace
not having devoted a huge post to this causes me guilt–DAILY. i will soon–better late than never? i don’t know, you tell me.
- Turning 30
perhaps because i had “dreaded” the big 3-0 all year, turning 30 was really not a huge deal, emotionally. i had a very nice birthday and felt extremely happy and loved. for what more could i have asked?
- Trying to lose weight…
…and doing it! this is my ninth week doing weight watchers online, and in my first 8 weeks i’ve lost 21.4 lbs. (hey, every tenth of a pound counts, doesn’t it?!) :) i’m really happy with the results so far and will renew my online membership after the initial 3 months deal ends. my weight has ALWAYS been the most shameful and embarrassing topic for me…and i have always, in the past, done everything to avoid discussing it. well, not anymore! i have already found that in telling others–even here in the open on my blog, for heaven’s sake!–i feel so much more freedom and am prompted to continue trying to improve myself and my health.
going along with that…
- Walking with Elisabeth
i bought E a fancy schmancy new stroller–the Jeep Overland Limited Jogging Stroller, to be exact. yes, i realise i purchased a jogging stroller…and maybe i’ll work into doing that! for now, though, it is working just fine as a walking stroller. i LOVE it–it even has a thing called “music on the move.” simply hook up your ipod or player of choice and enjoy the tunes coming out of the speakers! i think E is okay with my “on the go” playlist, but am i a horrible mom for making her listen to eminem, weezer, inxs, the clash, gnr, green day and the like?…oh well :)
- Daydreaming about London
yeah, i am getting PRETTY pumped about our trip in January. last week i reserved our room!! i’ve spent months poring over website after website trying to find a good deal. my requirements were not all that picky: i wanted a place that is clean, includes breakfast, has a good location & is close enough to public transport stops. well…finding a place that has all that WITH a low price tag attached (as we are definitely “budget travelers”) has been quite an ordeal. i definitely did NOT want to stay in a hostel–doug, on the other hand, had been picturing a place where the bed comes down from the wall and the room’s only light is from a lone dangling light bulb. he just really wanted that “experience.” seeing as it is his graduation present, i guess the right thing would have been to give into his wishes, but i didn’t do the right thing. well, i compromised. kind of. :) the place we’re staying is called the london house hotel and is a budget hotel/hostel. here’s the kicker: it was recently remodeled, and if you visit the site, you’ll see that the “super” rooms (where we’ll be) look really nice. a flat-screen plasma and an ensuite room WITH floor space?!?! all for 54 pounds a night?!…unheard of in central london!!! I STRUCK GOLD! :) now i can’t wait to daydream some more and plan out our days…
- Embossing. LOVE it.
i’m in love with paper source, and so imagine my delight when i received a gift certificate from j & jeb for my birthday! i bought some new stamps and tons of embossing powder…fun fun!! thanks so much, again, my friends! :) also, dear dougley took me on a shopping spree to hobby lobby!! i got an embossing heat tool (i had previously been using a candle or lighter!!) and more stamps and some stamp cleaner. i wish i could have my own stationery shop/business–what a dream!
- Devouring Harry Potter
i have seen the first four movies, but i’ve never had a desire to read the books. my husband, on the other hand, has read each one about three times! so on the sunday after the big release date for the last book, when doug asked me to read aloud to him while he drove, I.WAS.HOOKED. “that’s it!” i said. “i have to read them now.” and so that afternoon, i picked up harry potter and the sorcerer’s stone, and i have gone full speed ahead through each of them since then. i am merely pages from completing harry potter and the deathly hallows, and the thought of finishing the story…oh, there are too many emotions to name! let me just say that i now completely understand the madness behind all the hp fans out there. completely.
so. what have you been up to? :)
1. WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE? I believe my middle name came from a lady who was dear to my Dad and Mom. I think they stayed the night in her house the night before they were married.
2. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU CRIED? Yesterday during my lunch break. Just one tear. Not even sure if it trickled.
3. DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING? No. I constantly try to correct it, but it’s never good enough.
4. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LUNCH MEAT? I don’t know if it’s because I had a sandwich every day for school, but I am sick to death of lunch meat. I always had mesquite smoked turkey breast growing up, and I guess that’s what I would have to say.
5. DO YOU HAVE KIDS? As you all know, yes. One precious little girl.
6. IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU?? I’m not sure. Maybe not?
7. DO YOU USE SARCASM ALOT? No, not at all.
8. DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TONSILS? Yes. (That last one was a joke, of course.)
9. WOULD YOU BUNGEE JUMP? I would hope so.
10. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CEREAL? Cold—Frosty Flakes; Hot—thick, slightly sweet porridge
11. DO YOU UNTIE YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF? Um, most of my shoes don’t have laces? But yes, probably.
12. DO YOU THINK YOU ARE STRONG? No.
13. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM? Ben & Jerry’s New York Super Fudge Chunk
14. WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT PEOPLE? Their countenance
15. RED OR PINK? I used to hate pink, but now I love it. And I really love red, too.
16. WHAT IS THE LEAST FAVORITE THING ABOUT YOURSELF? Ugh…ONE thing?
17. WHO DO YOU MISS THE MOST? It depends.
18. DO YOU WANT EVERYONE TO SEND THIS BACK TO YOU? –irrelevant– J
19. WHAT COLOR PANTS AND SHOES ARE YOU WEARING? Jean skirt and brown sandals
20. WHAT WAS THE LAST THING YOU ATE? A delicious gala apple. YUM!
21. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW? The hum of the a/c in this office.
22. IF YOU WERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU BE? TOO HARD. But maybe periwinkle.
23. FAVORITE SMELLS? fresh laundry, baked goods of most any kind, my sweet baby after she has a bath and lotion
24. WHO WAS THE LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO ON THE PHONE? Loretta in the OBU post office
25. DO YOU LIKE THE PERSON WHO SENT THIS TO YOU? Yes, wholeheartedly.
26. FAVORITE SPORTS TO WATCH? I love to watch baseball, tennis, and gymnastics (is that considered a “sport”?)
27. HAIR COLOR? Black L
28. EYE COLOR? Brown
29. DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS? No. I’ve worn glasses since the sixth grade. Tried contacts in 10th grade and couldn’t do it. I’m fine with glasses. (pretty similar, huh, Jennie?) p.s. don’t need them too much—they just make the world crisper for me. J
30. FAVORITE FOOD? Steak, chocolate, fries, PIZZA, every fruit but kiwi, Italian, ice cream, BREAD…do I need to continue? I’m making myself hungry here.
31. SCARY MOVIES OR HAPPY ENDINGS? Definitely happy endings.
32. LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED? Ghost World
33. WHAT COLOR SHIRT ARE YOU WEARING? Greenish flower design shirt
34. SUMMER OR WINTER? Absolutely winter.
35. HUGS OR KISSES? If I had to pick one, hugs.
36. FAVORITE DESSERT? There’s no way in this WORLD I could choose one.
37. MOST LIKELY TO RESPOND? –irrelevant–
38. LEAST LIKELY TO RESPOND? –irrelevant–
39. WHAT BOOK ARE YOU READING NOW? Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix. My word, it’s good so far.
40. WHAT IS ON YOUR MOUSE PAD? A gel thingy for my wrist.
41. WHAT DID YOU WATCH ON T.V. LAST NIGHT? Didn’t watch TV last night
42. FAVORITE SOUND? Elisabeth’s laugh
43. ROLLING STONES OR BEATLES? Is this even a question? The Beatles, of course.
44. WHAT IS THE FURTHEST YOU HAVE BEEN FROM HOME? I have no idea.
45. DO YOU HAVE A SPECIAL TALENT? I don’t think so?
46. WHERE WERE YOU BORN? Little Rock, Arkansas
1. I’ve come to realize that my last kiss was…
symbolic of our busy lives. a quick goodbye as he got out of the car for work!
2. I am listening to…
a mix of love songs i made about four years ago. includes air supply, anne murray, bryan adams, u2, richard marx, peter gabriel, and theme music from braveheart, ever after and last of the mohicans. i LOVE this love cd.
3. I talk…
and it often sounds like a little kid. chunker, anyone?
4. I am dating…
way too infrequently. maybe two dates in nine months? L
5. My best friend…
is probably the best friend of MANY people. she will never know how amazing she is.
6. My car is…
ridiculous. i often think it’s going to all come apart as i’m driving—you know, like in a cartoon.
7. I hate it when people ask…
how’s that BABY? i mean, not that i don’t love to talk about her or anything—it’s almost the WAY people ask it. ugh.
doesn’t keep a record of wrongs. i’m working on this.
9. Marriage is…
not for the birds–it’s tough! but a great thing, of course.
10. Somewhere, someone is thinking…i wish i had a pair of shoes.
11. I’m always…
daydreaming about the future.
12. I have a secret cheesy crush…
on johnny depp?
13. My mobile phone…
14. When I wake up in the morning…
i always want to sleep longer.
15. When I go to bed at night…
i am exhausted.
16. Right now I am thinking about…
this incredible song and john cusack in say anything. (in your eyes, peter gabriel)
17. Babies are…
18. I get on myspace…
and then hate myself for wasting time on such a silly thing.
19. Today I…
am going to lunch with all the other deans’ secretaries.
20. Tonight I will…
begrudgingly deal with the mountains of CLOTHES we have everywhere in our home.
21. Tomorrow I will…
hate saying goodbye to Elisabeth again in the morning.
22. I really want…
to stay at home with E all day, every day. what a dream.
23. Someone that will most likely repost this is…
not Crystal, because i stole it from her! J
35Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? 36As it is written:
“For your sake we face death all day long;
we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.”[l] 37No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[m] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
well, i’m quite the copy-catter lately. first mimsies and now trim…Jennie’s song post* was so much fun–how could i NOT copy? :)
1. A song with the name of a city in the title or text.
America – Simon & Garfunkel (TWO cities mentioned–Pittsburgh and Saginaw) :)
2. A song you’ve listened to repeatedly when you were depressed at some point in your life.
Exit Music (For a Film) – Radiohead
3. A great song in a language other than English.
Les Chansons des Roses: Dirait-On – Morten Lauridsen
4. Your least favorite song on one of your favorite albums.
Whatever Thing – Waterdeep (&100 Portraits on Enter the Worship Circle)
5. A song you like (possibly from your past) that took you forever to finally locate a copy of.
Once Doug and I heard “Doin’ What Comes Natur’lly” on NPR. We LOVED it–we were almost in tears we were laughing so hard. It took a while for me to find out it’s from Annie Get Your Gun. :)
6. A song that reminds you of summer but doesn’t mention summer at all.
Dreams – The Cranberries
7. A song that sounds to you like being happy feels.
The Beautiful Briny – from Bedknobs and Broomsticks
8. A song that reminds you of high school.
Loser – Beck
9. A song that reminds you of college.
P-Funk – George Clinton/Parliament
10. A song you actually like by an artist you otherwise dislike.
I’m having a hard time coming up with one here…
11. One of the earliest songs that you can remember listening to.
Jesus, Jesus – sung by my Dad every night before bed :)
12. A song that has helped cheer you up (or empowered you somehow) after a breakup or otherwise difficult situation.
Stand – Susan Ashton
*Because I’ve taken so long to finish and post this, I am now guilty of also copying Rachel (aGAIN) AND J!!
I loved Rachel’s post about her and her husband’s new love for netflix. I thought I would copy her–just for fun–and list the next 20 movies in our queue (that IS a rough word to type, isn’t it?!)…
While we only have 90 movies (not anywhere close to their 400!), I think this is a pretty good sample of what we–I should say I, since I am the netflix hog of the house–usually pick. Why yes, I really am almost 30 and still like the “children and family” genre. I was surprised at how many dramas we have–29 out of 90. (Can you tell I’m trying to do anything but work right now?) Another side note: we do tend to re-watch movies (Best in Show is an ex. of that from this sample).
Tenacious D in: The Pick of Destiny
A Love Song for Bobby Long
Beyond the Gates of Splendor
All the Pretty Horses
Jet Li’s Fearless
An Inconvenient Truth
Cheaper by the Dozen 2
Best in Show
My Name Is Earl: Season 1: Disc 1
Kevin Smith 2: Evening Harder: Disc 1
Driving Miss Daisy
Bullets Over Broadway
i don’t know if it’s depression (probably), but i just think, “oh my gosh, HOW have i not done _____ yet?” this goes along with my ridiculous burden of guilt that i unnecessarily and constantly heave around, i suppose. i’m not sure if this will help, and perhaps i should’ve noted these things in a personal journal rather than a PUBLIC BLOG, but here’s an inexhaustive list of things i should have done a LONG time ago but have yet to do:
- finish my “100 things about me” post
- write about my dad’s birthday/weekend surprise (over one month late now, and NO–all these things will NOT be simply about blogging)
- finish baby gift thank you notes–i think i still lack 28, and i’m extremely embarrassed to publicize this because, yes, some of those who might read this have yet to receive one!!
- haul off the latest lingering Beehive pile (the Beehive is a store in town run by the developmentally disabled: it’s basically a really cool second-hand store)…this one’s esPECially bad because they even do pick-ups, people!! i mean, come on, Rebekah, how hard would it be to simply ORGANISE the mess under your carport and PICK UP THE PHONE?!
- make a wedding album from all our lovely wedding/honeymoon photos…hey Rebekah, didn’t you get married FIVE YEARS AGO?!
- work retrospectively on Elisabeth’s baby album(s)–this is something i canNOT get any more behind on than i already am. i mean, seven months have passed in a blink…no waiting five years on this one!!
okay, i think i’ll stop there. i’m borderline “phew, that feels good” and “oh no! where do i start?” besides, six is my favourite number. :)
p.s. do you like the new look/heading photo? that’s our sweet pup, Anabelle.
p.p.s. we went to marion to visit Doug’s family this weekend. needless to say, a LOT of photos were taken (mostly by Doug’s dad, the former professional photographer). I cannot get OVER this one: