what a weekend!
- 8:30 help with commencement preparations (time for another graduation ALREADY?!)
- 10:00 E and i leave for Little Rock (two words: PAPER SALE! $1 per pound/paper!!!)
- 1:00 Jennie (yay!), E and i get in line after a thorough examination of the paper, plates/napkins (i couldn’t have shopped without sweet Jennie’s help–E was quite the fuss-budget with no nap!!)
- 1:10 spend a whopping $22.67 (!!!) on a HAUL of cute, cute, cute paper, cards/envelopes, plates/napkins
- 1:30 go to sam’s for the “cheap” gas (pathetic that cheap gas=$3.55/gal) and search for an at&t store to buy a car charger…really need my cell phone for the rest of the day and battery is very d-e-a-d.
- 2:15 finally get to rachel & harry’s and see my beautiful 3 1/2 week old niece, AnnMarie
- 2:45 spontaneous photo shoot of the cousins! PERFECT to frame for Mother’s Day gift for Mom the next day! (well, after cropping out the horrendous, blaring yellow date.) :)
i can’t believe how beautiful and precious AnnMarie is–it even looks like she’s smiling here! E is being awfully greedy with the stuffed animals. :)
AnnMarie was getting really bored with the photo shoot & Elisabeth’s kisses. :)
by far, my favourite out of the 15 photos we snapped. AnnMarie was actually crying, but it looks like she is laughing with her cousin here! :) i love it. i love THEM. together.
- 4:00 arrive at sarah’s apartment
- 5:00 FINALLY leave LR after loading poor Quigley, Sarah’s dog, into the very back-end of my van (not to mention all of sarah’s belongings for her ten ONE night visit to arkadelphia)
- 6:00 drop off sarah at mom & dad’s and head home. once again, FINALLY.
- 7:15 start to try to get E to sleep (after a day of no naps–well, hardly–you would think it would be a breeze, right?!)
- 9:00 WRONG. E finally goes to sleep. oh.my.WORD. nightmare city.
- 10:00 collapse. :)
- 6:30 or 7:00 wake up to sweet doug’s mother’s day gifts AND anniversary presents (yes, they were on the same day!) my favourite part? Elisabeth bringing me “her” card. :)
- 9:00 getting ready…doug for WORK (BAH!!) :( and me & E for church.
- 10:00 work/church
- 11:30 leave with mom, dad, sarah, E, once again the quigster in the back…for another little rock trip.
- 12:30 meet rachel, harry and annmarie at mimi’s cafe–LOVED IT! (wait was 2 hours, though. we only had to wait 1 hour b/c we were driving for part of that time, but WOW.)
- 4:00ish after dropping off sarah and the pooch, leave for arkadelphia
- 5:00 get home
- 5:45 doug and i leave for little rock (NO, I AM NOT KIDDING) to go on an anniversary date. :) felt terrible for “dumping” E on my mom/dad (it was still mother’s day, after all!)…but they sweetly insisted. i’m glad. 6 years, after all, is a big deal! :) 6 is my fav. number, so i’m guessing that means this year will be AMAZING. :) although, technically, we’re now on our 7th year. which is just as nice, i suppose. :)
- 7:00 see made of honor. loved it. really, really, really cute. :)
- 9:30 we’re old geezers and too tired to do anything else. GO HOME. :)
did anyone make it through this entire (mostly boring?!) play-by-play of my weekend? my goodness.
Yes, for those of you who do not already know, Elisabeth is going to be a big sister! Surprise! The due date is pretty far down the road, but what good is a secret if I can’t share? :)
We’re really excited, scared poopless…all of the above. I feel a lot better due to my doctor’s appointment last week and am much more calm (i.e. not freaking out every second) about the idea of me getting preeclampsia again.
If I get it, I get it.
How comforting to know that there is nothing I can do (or not do) to keep that nasty disease far away from me and baby. (In other words, I can’t say with guilt in retrospect, “Oh, if I would’ve only done ___ or not done ____. Because preeclampsia is truly a thing that can affect any type of preg woman. Period.)
I knew this already, but I always like to hear things from the doctor’s mouth. He said if we were in Vegas and people were betting on whether or not I would get it again, they would be betting against the odds. :) I thought that was a funny–but positive–way of putting things. I’ll take it.
So, in (early) preparation, we bought a new minivan!! :) I LOVE IT. My youngest sister (about to pop any day with HER new baby) works for cars.com and knows all the car dealers in central arkansas…needless to say, we got a GREAT deal.
Our next big step is…a new JOB for Doug (maybe for me–but just through the summer!)and a new HOME. Remember a few paragraphs up when I wrote that I wasn’t freaking out every second about the preeclampsia stuff? Well, yeah, that’s because I’ve been too busy stressing my brains out over THESE issues. Unless the Lord provides something that pays enough here in Arkadelphia (translate: a MIRACLE), we are convinced we’ll have to move…I keep pushing for Little Rock, but Doug is not a huge fan of that idea.
That said, my Little Rock (and nearby) friends, if you have ANY suggestions, I am all ears!! And nose and mouth and head and heart and everything else. That doesn’t make sense now that I’ve typed it, but it did in my mind. Whatever.
The due date is a little far down the road, but not THAT far!! We’ve got to act soon…
Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions!
Love from Rebekah
Thanks for the fun idea, Jennie! :)
1. Who is your man? Doug (also dislike “man”)
2. How long have you been together? Married 5 years 4 months
3. How long dated? 3 years 7 months.
4. How old is your man? 28
5. Who eats more? We both love to eat!!
6. Who said “I love you” first? Definitely him.
7. Who is taller? He’s 5′10″ – I’m 5′4 3/4″. (hey–i’m proud of that 3/4″!)
8. Who sings better? He would say me, but I love his voice when he’s not bein silly. :)
9. Who is smarter? I would have to put away my pride and say him in most areas.
10. Whose temper is worse? We both have fiery tempers. Yuck.
11. Who does the laundry? We both do.
12. Who takes out the garbage? He usually does, and I am very grateful!
13. Who sleeps on the right side of the bed? He does, but he’d tell you he doesn’t get the entire half. (sorry–had to steal that one from you, Jennie!) :)
14. Who pays the bills? I do.
15. Who is better with the computer? Definitely me.
16. Who mows the lawn? We share.
17. Who cooks dinner? Cook? What’s that? :( Seriously, though, I love to cook–if only I had more time. And he is an AMAZING little chef–he creates recipes, and they’re amazing! If only I could send you a bite of his french toast through cyberspace…mmm…
18. Who drives when you are together? He does.
19. Who pays when you go out? He always does, but it doesn’t really matter b/c we share an account.
20. Who is most stubborn? We are really both a couple of old donkeys, to be honest. Hee haw!
21. Who is the first to admit when they are wrong? Ooo…ouch. Depends?
22. Whose parents do you see the most? Mine since they live a few blocks away and keep Elisabeth every day! We probably see his every other month or so, though.
23. Who kissed who first? Definitely him. After trying to resist his bold advances for a while, I finally caved in.
24. Who asked who out? We didn’t really have any formal dates–we just hung out and talked forever. BUT–he was the one calling! :)
25. Who proposed? He did. On a rooftop at night. The sky was crazy and beautiful. Wind blew. Clock tower rang as soon as we finished a prayer. It was magical.
26. Who is more sensitive? Definitely me.
27. Who has more friends? He does.
28. Who has more siblings? I have four and he has one.
29. Who wears the pants in the family? Weird question.
30. Does anyone else hate the fact that there only 29 questions?? I had to say it.
Rachel & Harry’s wedding weekend was so jam-packed with events; if I am ever going to post about them, I need to write in little installments. Otherwise, I feel way too overwhelmed to even beGIN to tackle everything. :)
We couldn’t have a bachelorette party for Rachel without first sending invitations!
With her input, I chose these:
Because I had to communicate so much extra information, I made an additional card to go with the lovely invitation. I guess I committed a crime by copying the picture, but I wanted my card to match!!…
Yes, I made up the cheesy poem at the bottom…but Rachel loved it! :) So girly and fun. Also, did you catch the r.s.v.p. email address? Uh huh, I really did create an email address SOLELY for her party. So much fun!! :) I absolutely LOVE to design/print any type of invitation or stationery…too bad I didn’t major in graphic design!! (I never know what I’m doing–I consider it “playing around.”)
Along those lines, I really didn’t know WHAT to do for favors…and since I wanted us hostesses to be able to give something unique and special –say, in lieu of the traditional doodle* gift? :) –I decided to make stationery for all the girls. We had to be semi-strict on the r.s.v.p.’s since we were working with a fancy-schmancy restaurant and staying in a suite at The Peabody (didn’t want someone to end up without a BED to sleep on, for example!), so I knew the names of all the girls who were coming. Here’s a photo of the party favors, lined up on a table in the hotel suite:
The o-c in me almost made a set for myself–I hated there weren’t an even 20!! :)
[*this is the term I learned in Australia for a certain male part…ah hem…]
The reality of my baby sister getting married REALLY set in when I was making her set…I couldn’t put Rachel SPENCER on her cards; she wouldn’t be able to use them anymore!
As stated above in the catchy poem, :) we all met first at the restaurant. This would be the time and the location that ALL FIVE SISTERS would be together for the first time in over twenty years…I was so excited for that (in addition to being excited for Rachel’s party) & a little nervous, too! Sadly, we didn’t even get a photo of us five together that night…I think we were all just so focused on Rachel and the huge event that was about to happen in her life! :)
so,…SO (I’m sure all you Little Rock persons know this, but that is the name of the restaurant) was REALLY wonderful. I had a good feeling going into it, because my contact guy had been so great with all the planning. I got to/had to (once again, with the Princess Bride’s input!) :) choose a “set menu,” and there were some delicious choices!!
Let me know if you can’t read the menu & want to know details!! :) I had the chicken pasta…oh.my.goodness.
INSERT: oops…I just realized ALL FIVE photos I’ve posted so far are nothing but stationery…BOH-RING!! Lemme change that for ya! :)
Rachel had such an interesting mix of close friends at her party–they literally came from all over the country! (And, including Kellie, all over the WORLD!!) :)
Here’s Sarah, enjoying her “chocolate sack” that she so graciously shared with all of us:
I’m not sure, but that arm in the bottom left might be going in for the kill!! I wish I had a picture of the dessert before Sarah dug in–it seriously was amazing. Literally an edible chocolate “sack,” filled with all things delicious. yum yum.
I absolutely love this photo of Rachel; I think it captures how genuinely happy she was:
She was such a little cutie in her tiara and “bride” t-shirt. :)
After we rooollled out of there, we were off…to The Peabody! I had never been there before–it’s stunningly gorgeous!
The two-story suite was amazing. It really looked like something straight out of a movie or something. Sarah & some of the other girls had gone earlier and decorated the room a little….
Ha ha…too cute. Things started getting a LITTLE crazy when Rachel started trying on all her gifts–over her clothes, of course. :) One of the girls had even given a gift for Harry–a pair of black mesh (see-through?!?!) undies…yep, Rachie put those on, too. :)
After things died down a bit following the “Name Your Lingerie” game (hi-lar-i-ous…can’t go into the details here on that one), we had cake. As you might remember, I was kind of up a creek with the cake responsibility. I thought Sarah had taken care of it, but the DAY BEFORE the party–when talking with her about everything–she said she didn’t care about a cake. I said, Sarah, it’s a SHOWER as well as a party…we’ve got to have SOMEthing!! And she said (in a very stressed-out state), “Fine! Then go make some cookie bars or something. If you don’t then fine, we won’t have anything!” It kind of reminded me of the Grandma in Napoleon Dynamite saying, “Go make yourself some dang quesa-dill-ahs.” Too funny. (But not at the time–I got pretty stressed pretty quickly trying to think up a shower dessert/cake for 20 people less than 24 hours before I needed it.) Once again, ubercheesy, but I went with a “photo cake.” The local grocer’s bakery saved the day!! Although I think the roses were a bit much, I was really happy with the way it turned out–and Rachel liked it, which is all that mattered, really!
I think she had a wonderful time and felt very honored and special–rightfully so!
Spa Day/Rehearsal & Dinner/Wedding Day to come!! :)
- one month from today, my youngest sister will be getting married. WHAT?!
- Julie, you will already be married!!
- did you hear last week about the boy with the spiders in his ears? i’ve thought of this EVERY night before going to sleep since then…earplugs, anyone?
- for girls only: commando. do you ever go? i had to yesterday due to the MOUNDS of dirty clothes yet to be washed–and it wasn’t as bad as i thought. no, it wasn’t my first time, but it had just been a long time. (unlike one unnamed sister, whom i think does this pretty regularly?? can’t imagine.)
- i wish i could hire some “helpers” for my parents. because their days are filled with everything Elisabeth, they simply do not have the time to clean their home and unpack boxes that are yes, still sitting untouched. the space they’re in is SO much smaller than their previous home, and so there’s literally not room for everything. this is such a burden for them–especially my Mom–and so it’s a burden for me, too. if i had vacation time, i would be there in a flash. could i please, like Evie, just stop time for a while?
- Elisabeth is ten months old today. how is THAT possible? :)
- a year ago, i was enjoying a night’s layover in London on my way to Finland. (again, how is that possible? that it’s been a YEAR?)
- i had my first official Mother’s Day on Sunday. so surreal. and precious and wonderful.
- doug finished SO WELL this semester!!! i could not be any more proud of him! after his trip to India this summer (mission trip, simultaneously earning 6 credit hours), he’ll only have ONE–count ’em, ONE!!!–more semester to go. -big sigh-
- i’m in the process of planning his huge graduation present we’ve been dreaming of for years…A TRIP TO EUROPE!! (just London, we think. and maybe a chunnel visit to PARIS!!) :)
on this day five years ago, i was smiling for pictures on the front steps of shaw’s tea garden after a lovely, delicious bridesmaids brunch. thank you, aunt debbie and uncle doug, for that gift and the wonderful memories you gave me that morning.
i had woken much earlier in the presence of my dear sister, sarah, and my friends, jennie and julie. rachel and mary beth came later to help with hair and make-up. thank you, precious girls, for staying with me that night and for all your help the next day.
wearing a green layered flowing dress, i was about to rush home down the street to change into my beautiful wedding gown. thank you, mom and dad, for the gifts of those dresses, the flowers and the food, the limo…there are so many things you gave me that day and throughout my life; i will be thanking you until my last breath for the constant gifts of your time, energy, resources, and most of all, your love. thank you.
and on this day, five years ago, i was about to marry you. you, with your handsome tuxedo, jittery nerves and slicked hair. you, with your sweet tears and committed heart, i loved you from that moment in my car on the way to the triplets’ birthday dinner in 1998. you know the moment, you know me, you love me. and i, you.
here’s to five hundred more.
Happy Valentine’s Day!
I woke up this morning to find that sweet Doug had stayed up ’til all hours of the night “decorating” the entry to our living room with red & white streamers and balloons for me. Then I walked a bit further and found he had scattered yummy chocolate hearts all over the coffee table, set out a beautiful pot of yellow-tinted red tulips, a box of truffles, Patch Adams and a heart-melting card for me, as well. Every year he one-ups himself, I’ll say! :)
As I was walking to the kitchen, I stole one more glance at the streamers and balloons…and I realized that what I previously thought were pale pink squares of streamer (taped onto the red pieces, as extra decoration) were actually, in fact, tons and tons of little post-it notes with sweet messages on them! One time before (I don’t remember if it was V. Day or not) Doug put a few post-it notes around the house for me to find, and I still have most of those saved in a memory box somewhere. :) But these little pink ones…well, they just really were amazing. Although I cannot share with you exactly what most of them SAID (ew, gross, i know)…let me just say that he is absolutely 100% precious.
(You are my only chunkcritter, Dougley, and I love you.)
Dear friends, I hope YOUR day was filled with little reminders of how much YOU are loved.