what a weekend!
- 8:30 help with commencement preparations (time for another graduation ALREADY?!)
- 10:00 E and i leave for Little Rock (two words: PAPER SALE! $1 per pound/paper!!!)
- 1:00 Jennie (yay!), E and i get in line after a thorough examination of the paper, plates/napkins (i couldn’t have shopped without sweet Jennie’s help–E was quite the fuss-budget with no nap!!)
- 1:10 spend a whopping $22.67 (!!!) on a HAUL of cute, cute, cute paper, cards/envelopes, plates/napkins
- 1:30 go to sam’s for the “cheap” gas (pathetic that cheap gas=$3.55/gal) and search for an at&t store to buy a car charger…really need my cell phone for the rest of the day and battery is very d-e-a-d.
- 2:15 finally get to rachel & harry’s and see my beautiful 3 1/2 week old niece, AnnMarie
- 2:45 spontaneous photo shoot of the cousins! PERFECT to frame for Mother’s Day gift for Mom the next day! (well, after cropping out the horrendous, blaring yellow date.) :)
i can’t believe how beautiful and precious AnnMarie is–it even looks like she’s smiling here! E is being awfully greedy with the stuffed animals. :)
AnnMarie was getting really bored with the photo shoot & Elisabeth’s kisses. :)
by far, my favourite out of the 15 photos we snapped. AnnMarie was actually crying, but it looks like she is laughing with her cousin here! :) i love it. i love THEM. together.
- 4:00 arrive at sarah’s apartment
- 5:00 FINALLY leave LR after loading poor Quigley, Sarah’s dog, into the very back-end of my van (not to mention all of sarah’s belongings for her ten ONE night visit to arkadelphia)
- 6:00 drop off sarah at mom & dad’s and head home. once again, FINALLY.
- 7:15 start to try to get E to sleep (after a day of no naps–well, hardly–you would think it would be a breeze, right?!)
- 9:00 WRONG. E finally goes to sleep. oh.my.WORD. nightmare city.
- 10:00 collapse. :)
- 6:30 or 7:00 wake up to sweet doug’s mother’s day gifts AND anniversary presents (yes, they were on the same day!) my favourite part? Elisabeth bringing me “her” card. :)
- 9:00 getting ready…doug for WORK (BAH!!) :( and me & E for church.
- 10:00 work/church
- 11:30 leave with mom, dad, sarah, E, once again the quigster in the back…for another little rock trip.
- 12:30 meet rachel, harry and annmarie at mimi’s cafe–LOVED IT! (wait was 2 hours, though. we only had to wait 1 hour b/c we were driving for part of that time, but WOW.)
- 4:00ish after dropping off sarah and the pooch, leave for arkadelphia
- 5:00 get home
- 5:45 doug and i leave for little rock (NO, I AM NOT KIDDING) to go on an anniversary date. :) felt terrible for “dumping” E on my mom/dad (it was still mother’s day, after all!)…but they sweetly insisted. i’m glad. 6 years, after all, is a big deal! :) 6 is my fav. number, so i’m guessing that means this year will be AMAZING. :) although, technically, we’re now on our 7th year. which is just as nice, i suppose. :)
- 7:00 see made of honor. loved it. really, really, really cute. :)
- 9:30 we’re old geezers and too tired to do anything else. GO HOME. :)
did anyone make it through this entire (mostly boring?!) play-by-play of my weekend? my goodness.
did you see dolly parton on ai last night? loved her. plastic surgery (i.e. face DESTRUCTION–what was she thinking?!) aside, she is so precious. couldn’t believe american idol producers allowed someone to get on there and sing about Jesus so much, but after all, she is dolly. :)
i haven’t written about silly ai in a while, so i thought i would share my fav. list, etc.
girls: LOVE carly, syesha (“she’s not SHYesha, that’s for sure!”–maybe my favourite quote from dolly on tuesday night’s show), and brooke. in that order. but my love for brooke is fading–she’s kind of weird?
boys: LOVE them all. order? jason castro tied with michael johns, then david arch., then david cook. i seriously think it’s the most talented group ai has ever seen in their top whatever.
i even–ahem–asked doug if, for my birthday, we could go see them in concert this summer…ridiculous, i know. :)
“LOSING A FRIEND”
THIS IS A VERY TOUCHING STORY ABOUT LIFE & DEATH
AND THE FRIENDS THAT WE HAVE.
IT’S CERTAIN TO STIR UP YOUR HEART, TOUCH YOUR SOUL.
THIS EMAIL IS ONE I COULD NOT AFFORD NOT TO SHARE WITH MY FRIENDS.
I’M STILL CHOKED UP OVER IT!
Rachel & Harry’s wedding weekend was so jam-packed with events; if I am ever going to post about them, I need to write in little installments. Otherwise, I feel way too overwhelmed to even beGIN to tackle everything. :)
We couldn’t have a bachelorette party for Rachel without first sending invitations!
With her input, I chose these:
Because I had to communicate so much extra information, I made an additional card to go with the lovely invitation. I guess I committed a crime by copying the picture, but I wanted my card to match!!…
Yes, I made up the cheesy poem at the bottom…but Rachel loved it! :) So girly and fun. Also, did you catch the r.s.v.p. email address? Uh huh, I really did create an email address SOLELY for her party. So much fun!! :) I absolutely LOVE to design/print any type of invitation or stationery…too bad I didn’t major in graphic design!! (I never know what I’m doing–I consider it “playing around.”)
Along those lines, I really didn’t know WHAT to do for favors…and since I wanted us hostesses to be able to give something unique and special –say, in lieu of the traditional doodle* gift? :) –I decided to make stationery for all the girls. We had to be semi-strict on the r.s.v.p.’s since we were working with a fancy-schmancy restaurant and staying in a suite at The Peabody (didn’t want someone to end up without a BED to sleep on, for example!), so I knew the names of all the girls who were coming. Here’s a photo of the party favors, lined up on a table in the hotel suite:
The o-c in me almost made a set for myself–I hated there weren’t an even 20!! :)
[*this is the term I learned in Australia for a certain male part…ah hem…]
The reality of my baby sister getting married REALLY set in when I was making her set…I couldn’t put Rachel SPENCER on her cards; she wouldn’t be able to use them anymore!
As stated above in the catchy poem, :) we all met first at the restaurant. This would be the time and the location that ALL FIVE SISTERS would be together for the first time in over twenty years…I was so excited for that (in addition to being excited for Rachel’s party) & a little nervous, too! Sadly, we didn’t even get a photo of us five together that night…I think we were all just so focused on Rachel and the huge event that was about to happen in her life! :)
so,…SO (I’m sure all you Little Rock persons know this, but that is the name of the restaurant) was REALLY wonderful. I had a good feeling going into it, because my contact guy had been so great with all the planning. I got to/had to (once again, with the Princess Bride’s input!) :) choose a “set menu,” and there were some delicious choices!!
Let me know if you can’t read the menu & want to know details!! :) I had the chicken pasta…oh.my.goodness.
INSERT: oops…I just realized ALL FIVE photos I’ve posted so far are nothing but stationery…BOH-RING!! Lemme change that for ya! :)
Rachel had such an interesting mix of close friends at her party–they literally came from all over the country! (And, including Kellie, all over the WORLD!!) :)
Here’s Sarah, enjoying her “chocolate sack” that she so graciously shared with all of us:
I’m not sure, but that arm in the bottom left might be going in for the kill!! I wish I had a picture of the dessert before Sarah dug in–it seriously was amazing. Literally an edible chocolate “sack,” filled with all things delicious. yum yum.
I absolutely love this photo of Rachel; I think it captures how genuinely happy she was:
She was such a little cutie in her tiara and “bride” t-shirt. :)
After we rooollled out of there, we were off…to The Peabody! I had never been there before–it’s stunningly gorgeous!
The two-story suite was amazing. It really looked like something straight out of a movie or something. Sarah & some of the other girls had gone earlier and decorated the room a little….
Ha ha…too cute. Things started getting a LITTLE crazy when Rachel started trying on all her gifts–over her clothes, of course. :) One of the girls had even given a gift for Harry–a pair of black mesh (see-through?!?!) undies…yep, Rachie put those on, too. :)
After things died down a bit following the “Name Your Lingerie” game (hi-lar-i-ous…can’t go into the details here on that one), we had cake. As you might remember, I was kind of up a creek with the cake responsibility. I thought Sarah had taken care of it, but the DAY BEFORE the party–when talking with her about everything–she said she didn’t care about a cake. I said, Sarah, it’s a SHOWER as well as a party…we’ve got to have SOMEthing!! And she said (in a very stressed-out state), “Fine! Then go make some cookie bars or something. If you don’t then fine, we won’t have anything!” It kind of reminded me of the Grandma in Napoleon Dynamite saying, “Go make yourself some dang quesa-dill-ahs.” Too funny. (But not at the time–I got pretty stressed pretty quickly trying to think up a shower dessert/cake for 20 people less than 24 hours before I needed it.) Once again, ubercheesy, but I went with a “photo cake.” The local grocer’s bakery saved the day!! Although I think the roses were a bit much, I was really happy with the way it turned out–and Rachel liked it, which is all that mattered, really!
I think she had a wonderful time and felt very honored and special–rightfully so!
Spa Day/Rehearsal & Dinner/Wedding Day to come!! :)
have you ever had a dream where you are “friends” with a celebrity? my sister frequently dreams she and johnny depp are friends (must be nice), and i know i’ve had such a dream in the past…but none quite so vivid as last night.
i don’t even care for her–that’s the strange part–but angelina jolie and i hung out for hours & hours following a wedding in which i did a scriptural reading and she was one of the MINISTERS. during my reading, no one was listening–there was even a girl rapping really loudly and shaking her booty two feet away from me. i actually think she may have been beyonce. (does beyonce rap?) anyway…brad–yeah, first name basis, that’s right–was there, too. when the other minister got up to speak (“angie” was seated a few people down from me, by brad), they both got really irritated and rolled their eyes when he spoke about Jesus. i don’t think they would do that in real life, though. (WHERE do i come up with this stuff?)
she was really nice, and i didn’t feel nervous at all; in fact, i was really myself. she told me how great it was to have just met someone and that person not be all psycho because she’s such a mega-celebrity–how it was so peaceful to just hang out with someone & talk and laugh. (not in her exact words.)
okay, this is starting to sound a little scary, like i’m a stalker or something. but that’s the point–i don’t even care too much for her! well, maybe i will now. :)
you know what’s funny? (i mean besides this whole thing–that is, funny weird, not funny haha.) i don’t even know who was getting married.
p.s. recap on my baby sister’s REAL wedding = coming soon…with great photos, too. :)
i stole this from leann…very fun–thanks!!
you should try it, too.
history of techno icons: augustus gloop
Spawned in the seedy clubs of weisbaden, germany, augustus gloop burst onto the techno scene in 1997 with their debut album, tis so sweet. The band’s latest album, saving the world one creampie at a time, layers chunker p. fox’s larger-than-life growls with thunderous drum solos to cook up a record boiling over with pulse-pounding scorchers. With standout tracks like “violet and veruca,” already certified platinum in Europe, augustus gloop can count on loads of future success.
*The above bio is a fictional account of a band that doesn’t exist (at least not yet), and is meant solely to make you laugh and procrastinate doing any real work today. Any similarity to a real band, living or dead, is purely coincidental. And very weird.
- finished music & lyrics–loved it from beginning to end. very, very cute!! and the songs…they are definitely stuck-in-your-head kind of tunes! :)
- embarrassing confession: i’m at least FIFTEEN minutes late to work almost every day. what is WRONG with me??? i am amazed that i still have my job.
- i cannot believe Doug is going to India for three weeks. he leaves in twelve days! i’m really going to miss him–and so will Elisabeth and Anabelle! i guess i’ll get a taste of how he felt when i was gone last summer. i got him a camera for our anniversary, and i’m already excited as i imagine all the amazing photos he will take! (he’s an EXCELLENT photographer!)
- did you watch the american idol finale last night? i thought it was pretty anti-climactic and that the winning song from the songwriting contest was LACK.ING. oh well. although i love blake, annoying jordin so fits the ai image & will almost surely win. i’m kind of glad–that way, maybe blake won’t have to be the producers’ puppet.
- can you believe memorial day weekend is only a few days away?? (i say this in almost every post, but WHERE does all the time go?!) Doug’s family will be coming on friday and spend the whole following week at their time share in hot springs. i’m so excited to go splash in the pool…with sweet baby in her little bikini!! :) when i was online shopping for her bather (as they are called in Australia), i kept thinking i would get her a one-piece–i’ve got to teach her modesty, you know! HA HA J/K but seriously, she’s got the cutest little outie belly button you’ve ever seen, and i decided it simply had to be revealed! :) here’s a picture of her itsy bitsy teeny weeny flowered polka dot bikini (those polka dots seem to be a recurring them, hmm??)…oh DRATS–i just went to the website so i could swipe the photo, and of COURSE it’s half-off now!! oh well. :)
· obviously, i’m stuck in a rut doing these little bullet posts.
· do you ever forget to put on deodorant? yuck—i did today. how could i be in SUCH a hurry that i could forget such a crucial thing??
· we got home last night from a whirlwind one night trip to memphis…to find that my precious Mother had washed ALL of Elisabeth’s laundry. (and there was QUITE a bit—three loads worth!!) she is more wonderful than i could ever express.
· i’ve been living with a shadow overhead…have you seen music & lyrics? i started watching it last night after getting E to sleep, and i LLLLOVE it. that sweet little song has been in my head all morning. i can’t wait to finish the movie tonight!
· my sister, Rachel, is unbelievably hilarious sometimes. she called me at work this morning, and here’s a snippet of the beginning of our conversation (she starts):
“hiiiiii! i tried to call you ALL weekend!”
“oh really? it never showed up on my phone!”
“well, that’s because i didn’t have your number.”
· thanks SO MUCH for the first birthday party ideas. i’m really thinking about those polka dots! (i actually had previously considered that as a theme!!) although…you know, the lizard theme—or even the polka dot lizards—is really tempting, Rix!! ha ha. believe it or not, speaking of funny Rachel, she actually called Elisabeth “lizard breath” one time—no joke. (i didn’t find it funny at the time, but now—especially after your comment—it’s a knee-slapper.)
· besides party themes running through my head, i’ve got London on my mind! (what else is new.) i think it’s really going to happen! although January is the coldest (and rainiest, i believe) month of the year there, that is when we’re planning to go. ANY LONDON TIPS??
- why melinda? why couldn’t it have been jordan? L bummer. at least that cutie, beatboxin blake, made the cut. J
- so, did you hear about the woman who survived an internal decapitation???? what?
- some recent search engine terms (i love these!): pain + sadness, kangaroo live birth (WHAT?!), all you need is love + noter (noteR??), flixers (i thought i made up this word?), down under, rebeekah (yikes!), and—my favourite really recent ones—commando and going commando
- which leads me to say, citizen D, the reason i said “for girls only” is not only because it’s a semi-embarrassing topic, but also—you said it yourself!! guys (especially ones who wear boxers) going commando is not as big of a deal as girls doing it! at least, i sexistly think so. J
- i’m trying to decide on a party theme for E’s first birthday. i’ve been thinking about the little nicknames we call her—precious lamb, angel, pumpkin, etc. but i don’t know about going with any of those. (besides, pumpkins in july?) i love the whole ladybugs or butterflies or whatever type theme, but those seem so over-done. i thought about doing a party at the park by our house…but oh for the HEAT in mid-July. then i thought about doing a party at the arkadelphia aquatic park (i.e. glorified swimming pool)…but that would mean bathing suits. um, not too fun for the grown ups! (at least, most of us.) okay, so i need some help—any suggestions?